Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning how to dance in the rain.



Wednesday, May 15, 2013

300th in Cayman

Do you like this post?
I left for Grand Cayman with my old friend, Karen for a week of diving.  Karen had never been to Grand Cayman and decided to join me.  After a smooth flight, we grabbed our bags, picked up the rent car before stopping at the grocery store....then out to the condo on the East End.  It was great to see all the folks at Compass Point and Ocean Frontiers.
I showed Karen around the place after we had unpacked and enjoyed supper.  My first dive started the next morning, Sunday and it was great to see friends, Tamara and Dennis on the dive boat. On our first dive the dive master found a large, yellow, seahorse......got some great pics.  We invited Tamara and Dennis to join us for dinner...fajitas, Spanish rice, beans, guacamole, and tortillas to celebrate Cinco de Mayo!
Monday lots to see under the water and I made my 300th dive on the second dive of the day.  Got a great photo with the dive masters to celebrate.  Dinner that night was with Tamara and Dennis.....always such gracious host and good cooks.  They even surprised me a cake to celebrate my 300th dive!

Two more dives on Tuesday with a seafood lunch at Kurt's Korner, then snorkeling at Rum Point.  We also made a stop at Starfish Beach where we found a few starfish near the beach.  Karen did good snorkeling and decided to book
a snorkel trip out on the boat.
Wednesday I booked the 3 tank Safari and packed a picnic lunch for a day out on the water.  We had some excitement when a fellow diver had a medical emergency on the boat and we made a quick trip to the dock.  What the crew feared was a form on the bends turned out to be some type of allergic reaction.  On the 3rd dive of the trip we encountered a group of 3 black tip reef sharks that circled us on the dive. Karen had booked a 3 stop boat snorkel trip and fell in love with snorkeling.
Thursday I had my last two dives and after Matt found a Dwarf Frogfish I was summoned to take photos underwater.  The whole boat was excited and I was glad to document his discovery with a photo.  Supposedly this creature had not ever been seen on the East End.  After lunch it was time to show Karen around Cayman....Smith's Cove, Georgetown, Seven Mile Beach, Hell, Hurley's Grocery and some shopping downtown before heading back to the condo.
Friday we were up early for our Stingray Trip, arriving at Kaibo to catch the boat at 7 am.  As soon as we anchored the rays began to arrive.  We entered the water and had a chance to feed them some squid.  I tried to get photos, but Karen was excited and not standing still.  After that we headed to a snorkel site near the reef for about an hour long snorkel....Karen loved it.  Next we stopped at Rum Point and almost had the whole place to ourselves.  We enjoyed taking photos, snorkeling, just relaxing in the shade and lunch.
Sadly our trip had come to an end...we packed and did a little shopping before heading to the airport.  The flight was easy, but traffic in Houston was a nightmare!  We pulled into my driveway a little before midnight. 
Cayman was great, the diving awesome as usual, and sharing it with a friend made it special.  I think we both went home with lots of memories to treasure.

No comments: